Who's on TikTok?
“If you’re in advertising you can’t ignore TikTok—especially if your target audience is under 30 years old.”
Most people know that TikTok has captivated Gen Z, the younger generation.
But who exactly uses TikTok? And how should TikTok’s user base demographics affect your advertising practices?
First, a few general statistics:
- TikTok currently has 800 million active monthly users—more than Pinterest, LinkedIn, Reddit, Snapchat, and Twitter.
- TikTok is the 6th most popular mobile application in the world.
Two of the most important features of TikTok’s user base demographic—in the US, specifically—are age and household income.
- 50% of US TikTok users are between 18 and 34 years old, and there’s a near-even split between 18-24 year olds and 25-34 year olds.
- 63.5% of TikTok users in the United States are younger than 29 years old
- 60% of US TikTok users fall between the ages of 16 and 24 years old
- An entire quarter of TikTok users are 45-64 years old (a fact that's often overlooked)
Although this data doesn’t include users aged 18 and under, it clearly shows that TikTok appeals to a wider demographic than high school kids or college students.
- 51.8% of TikTok users make more than $75,000 per year
- 37% of TikTok users enjoy a household income of more than $100,000
- 30% of TikTok users earn household income less than or equal to $40,000
These numbers suggest that TikTok is an app for the economically comfortable and for college students or those just beginning their career.
The following infographic from MarketingCharts helps visualize both the age and household income of TikTok users:
As TikTok continues growing , advertisers will keep gleaning new data insights about its user demographics. However, for now, understanding these two key components of TikTok users—age and household income—will help advertisers design and implement successful TikTok ad campaigns.